28600Re: [SCA-JML] Silk

  • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
    Sep 18 4:16 PM
      Agnes wrote:
      > I am planning on ordering some silk to work with from Dharma Trading.
      > I am wondering what other members of the group prefer for their silk
      > when ordering for making Kosode. Thanks

      Short answer: Buy the heaviest weight habotai you can afford.

      I also like their silk twill (12 momme).

      Saionji shonagon wrote:
      > Habotai is very drapy and you'll need to starch the crap out of it
      > to give it any body, possibly even line it. Even the 16mm is very
      > "blousy."

      As a base layer I find it uncomfortable, but as a mid- or top layer
      with other fabrics I think it's just fine. I have to spend the whole
      day keeping my sleeve ends out of the food, but soie la vie.

      --
      THL Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
      (mka: Elliott C. Evans)