28579Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Given name

    Sep 11, 2013

      Thank you so much for the list of names, they got me started in the right direction. So, they are greatly appreciated! I have some more questions. How would one pronounce: The given names Suke / Sukeko, Tashi and the surname Asakura?  I ran across historical figures with these names, but can't find Japanese pronunciations for them.

      Japanese vowels sound like Spanish vowels:
      A as in the A in swat or the AU in caught
      I as in the E in beet or sweet
      U as in the U in lute or the OO in boot
      E as in the E in bet  or met
      O as in the O in boat or more

      Japanese consonants sound pretty much like English consonants except for R which sounds midway between an L and an R.

      Also, can anyone help me document the name Ryûzô (Ryuzo) for my husband. We used http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/names.html to find it, but it was returned saying "Sengokudaimyo is not sufficient documentation by itself as there are no dates to given to prove the given name was used during our time." Any help there would be fantastic.

      Ryūzō sounds modern.