28551Re: [SCA-JML] Re: ISO. Illuminations

    Aug 4, 2013

      > Thank you some much for the information. I will be looking for those terms to see what I can find. I was aware that most of the surviving illuminated European manuscripts were bibles and books of hours or things other than legal documents except for some heraldic stuff. It is interesting to learn that holds true for Japan as well. If I find any kites or rams I'll let you know

      We have quite a bit of extant illuminated WESTERN legal documents. For example there is a surviving Portugese viceregal charter which is reproduced in a Japanese history book that I have. There are multiple examples of illuminated and even preprinted illuminations in the Kriminal Museum in Germany. On the other hand, I do not know of ANY illuminated Japanese legal documents. AND, we do have quite a few surviving Japanese legal documents. There is interestingly enough a specific style to Japanese official documents that is seldom seen in the Society. That is the use of itemized statements each of which begins with the kanji for the number one which is often followed by a japanese comma.

      In Japan, calligraphy itself is a widely regarded art form. I urge you to produce a scroll which is pure calligraphy sans illumination.