      From: JL Badgley <tatsushu@...>
      To: "sca-jml@yahoogroups.com" <sca-jml@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:16 PM
      Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Daimyo questions

      As a title, "X-no-kami" is best--it refers to "The lord/ruler/head honcho
      of X".

      "Shugo" refers to the job. I would think "Shugo-sama" is an appropriate
      term for addressing a baron in general.

      "Daimyo" is not inappropriate, but it isn't necessarily a 1 for 1
      equivalent. Early daimyo ("Big Name") were also shugo, but as the central
      government's hold collapsed others became "daimyo" and held land more by
      the force of their arms and politics with their neighbors than by any
      official appointment.

      -Ii