      From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>
      To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:30 PM
      Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Daimyo questions

      Noble Cousin!

      Greetings from Solveig! There is a nokami title which was used by civilian/imperial court appointee provincial governors. This should not be confused with the military governors. An interesting note is that a province could and have both flavors of governor. So, yes you can be a nokami but that is claiming a civilian appointment instead of a military appointment. The sugo were around during the Kamakura and Muromachi periods. The nokami date from the organization of the imperial government. There are organization charts for this sort of thing which appear in the appendices of kogojiten. I can recommend a particularly good one if you can deal with Japanese.