28406Re: japanese name structure

  • LJonthebay
    Dec 13, 2012
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "hexslinger" <haruko@...> wrote:

      > Sumimasen, Solveig-sensei, for taking the conversation slightly off-track, but I recently had a question come up. I am considering moving my persona later-period, possibly with a Christian conversion.
      >
      > If I were to do that, would the Christian name be appended to my nanori, or replace it entirely?

      Konnichiwa, Sou-hime.

      Good question. The namban missionaries would refer to you by your new baptismal name, for certain. Whether Japanese natives would do so or continue to think of you by your nanori, I don't know.

      If you need examples, Hosokawa Gracia is a fairly well known female convert.

      Saionji Shonagon