28394Re: gores and gussets

  • tupan4
    Oct 4, 2012
      Abe-dono, where does the rectangular gusset go? Is it like where you'd measure rise or is it 90 degrees opposite?

      Can someone post a link to a picture?

      Partly I'm curious because I know Lady Roxanne's hakama pattern includes a strip that goes ankle to ankle along the inseam. I don't know whether that's based on historical research or on making a nice looking pair of pants. (It does work out nicely.) http://www.yamakaminari.com/HowTo/RoxannesGarb/RoxanneHakama4Pennsic.pdf

      Thanks!

      ERIN

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Ellen Badgley <flyingrat42@...> wrote:

      > Yoinking *Jidai isshou no nuikata* off the shelf... *yoink*
      >
      > All of the Heian-and-later pleated *hakama *and *sashinuki *have a very
      > clear square gusset a la Hiraizumi-dono's (Tony's) pattern. However, the
      > earlier Nara-period reproductions (from Shoso-in examples) tend to be
      > different, and at least one of those (an "undergarment") has the 3-4 inch
      > "strip" at the crotch, similar to the one photographed in Honcho-Gunkiko.
      > (In Nuikata, the same kanji is used for this crotch-piece as for the
      > gusset in the other cases.)
      >
      > So, in summary, they're both period approaches, it appears.
      >
      > - Abe Akirakeiko

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic