28393Re: [SCA-JML] gores and gussets

  • Ellen Badgley
    Oct 3, 2012
      Yoinking *Jidai isshou no nuikata* off the shelf... *yoink*

      All of the Heian-and-later pleated *hakama *and *sashinuki *have a very
      clear square gusset a la Hiraizumi-dono's (Tony's) pattern. However, the
      earlier Nara-period reproductions (from Shoso-in examples) tend to be
      different, and at least one of those (an "undergarment") has the 3-4 inch
      "strip" at the crotch, similar to the one photographed in Honcho-Gunkiko.
      (In Nuikata, the same kanji is used for this crotch-piece as for the
      gusset in the other cases.)

      So, in summary, they're both period approaches, it appears.

      - Abe Akirakeiko