28272Re: [SCA-JML] Geta Images/References?

  • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
    Jun 2, 2012
      Jeanel Walker wrote:
      > my husband used landscaping timber to make my first pair
      > and they were heavy but they're solid and water proof.
      > where everyone was getting there feet wet I was above it
      > by three inches. And the timbers were treated, when I got
      > my indoor getas they were so light I could walk for days
      > in them. Just putting that info out there

      It's very important that geta be made from lightweight wood.
      They should be light enough, and the straps tight enough,
      that they stick to the bottoms of your feet without flipping
      and flopping.

      Paulownia is about as light as balsa, but it is stronger. I
      used poplar (widely available at big box hardware stores) for
      a couple pairs, and it is fairly lightweight and very strong.
      I used cedar for another pair and it is much lighter, but not
      as strong. The cedar pair is very comfortable to wear, but
      one of the teeth split on a rock.

      --
      The Hon. Lord Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
      (mka: Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans)