      From: Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie <ishiyama@...>
      To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, June 1, 2012 4:05 PM
      Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Geta Images/References?

      richard johnson wrote:
      > i own a couple pairs of geta made in japan and both are carved from a
      > single piece of soft wood. Probably pine, and so the bottons are
      > showing wear from rocks.

      Most geta in Japan are made from kiri (paulownia).
      It is available in the US, but not widely available.

      > Of course, these are both modern and probably machine-made but I don;t
      > think there would be too much change in design over the centuries.

      Solid construction like you describe and pieced
      construction like I do are both common. So is wide
      variation in design of geta. Many kinds exist.

      Pieced construction enables me to make geta from
      commercially available lumber. It is difficult to get
      any kind of wood in large enough blocks to carve geta.

      The Hon. Lord Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
      (m.k.a. Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans)