28221Re: Kasutera/Castela - a Portuguese sweet bread from 16th c. Japan

  • LJonthebay
    Apr 2, 2012
      Looks like nobody's looked at my original thread on the Tousando about this, so I'm posting it again. (It includes description of modern kasutera, etc.)

      http://tousando.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=food&thread=4023&page=1

      Batches 2(made with 7 eggs) and 3 (6 eggs) were cheerfully consumed at Estrella War this week. In a discussion with one of my victims, we conjectured that the consistency would have worked well for a ship bread, which makes a great deal of sense when one thinks about how many months a voyage from Portugal to the Far East took. After a couple of days in a zip-lock bag in the Arizona desert (a climate FAR drier than Japan ever gets), the texture somewhat resembled biscotti.

      Saionji Shonagon, sugaring up the Known World for at least a week.