28220Re: Kasutera/Castela - a Portuguese sweet bread from 16th c. Japan

  • LJonthebay
    Apr 1 11:39 PM
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "SeanM" <srmalloy@...> wrote:

      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "LJonthebay" <wodeford@> wrote:
      > > Rath's translation is of a recipe for kasutera (Pao de Castela or Bread from Castile) that dates to 1641, however, the treat was known during our period.
      > >
      > > "Knead together 10 eggs, 160 momme (600 grams or 2.5 cups*) of
      > > sugar and 160 momme of wheat flour. Spread paper in a pot and
      > > sprinkle it with flour. Place the dough on top of this. Place a
      > > heat source above and below to cook. There are oral instructions."
      > > from the Nanban Ryorisho or Southern Barbarian's Cookbook, which
      > > dates from 1641.

      > From a little rummaging around the Net, it appears that it's _supposed_ to be a batter; it's one of the many variations on sponge cake (or pound cake), which depend for their rise on the expansion of the air trapped in the batter.

      Modern kasutera yes. The recipe cited above is in a document dated 1641 CE. No milk, no honey, no fancy shmancy whisking. ;-D Both batches vanished mysteriously into hungry faces at Estrella War with no complaints.

      Saionji Shonagon