28212Re: Kasutera/Castela - a Portuguese sweet bread from 16th c. Japan

  • LJonthebay
    Mar 26, 2012
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jane Bettencourt <sealynn@...> wrote:

      > Portuguese sweet bread dates back much further in Portugal.

      Clearly. Rath cites a source mentioning the selling of kasutera in Japan that is a full 50 years earlier than the recipe in the Nanban Ryori. I would love to find a period Portuguese source to see if there are any variations.

      > But also think they may have used what we call small eggs because that is all they had.

      Modern eggs sold to stores are sorted for uniformity of size. When a friend used to bring me eggs from his chickens, I'd get a dozen that were a gamut of sizes (and colors - the pale green ones were quite pretty). I realized my error as I mixed the first batch two weeks ago. Six Grade A Large eggs* came a lot closer to producing a dough-like consistency.

      *This is the smallest size my local market sells.

      Saionji Shonagon