28174Re: trip to Japan

  • tsukime_medb
    Feb 29, 2012
      Wow, everybody, thanks for the responses!

      I'll definitely take them into account when planning. The National museum has definitely gone on my must-do list.

      I'm happy to try to get some of the requested pictures - I'll try to check out cemeteries and see what I can find. Also, if anyone has any suggestions about where extant period texitiles/clothing items are housed, I might be able to make a request to the museums to see them.

      One question for Ii-dono and any others who have visited the costume museum - is it focused on Heien era clothing? Their website has later period clothes, but I did not see any in my (extremely quick) look at your pictures.

      Arigato!
      Tsukime

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote:

      > On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:04 PM, tsukime_medb <heidilyn999@...> wrote:
      > > Hi All,
      > >
      > > I am soon to make a trip to Japan for a conference. I was hoping to get some good advice on must-see places of historical interest. My time is limited, but I hope to indulge in my love of research. I will have 1 free day in Tokyo and a few days in Kyoto. I am also going to Nara, but I think the deer and the temple will take up the day I have there.
      > >
      > > In Kyoto I plan to visit the costume museum and any art museums I can get to. My main artistic endeavors are gardening and bonsai, so I will be visiting nurseries and gardens as much as I can. Please let me know if you have other ideas!
      > >
      > > Also, if there are any pictures or bits of information I can get for anyone on the list, please let me know!
      > >
      > Here are some pictures. Here is my set for the Costume Museum:
      > http://www.flickr.com/photos/tatsushu/sets/72157600771310022/
      >
      > Here are all the other Japan pics:
      > http://www.flickr.com/photos/tatsushu/collections/72157600752396872/
      >
      > If you have questions on a specific picture I can attempt to explain, if I know.
      >

      > -Ii

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic