28069Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Garment Construction Details

  • Andrew Trembley
    Dec 23, 2011
      On 12/21/2011 3:32 PM, Carey Gorla wrote:
      > In regards to linings, I can't think of the proper terms right now and my Google Fu is failing me, do you know if the linings are more often just a reverse of the garment sewn along the edges or if each lining piece was attached to each outer piece then all attached?

      The modern terms you're looking for are "bag lining" (where the lining
      is the garment made inside-out and then sewn to the outside) and "flat
      lining" (where lining and outer pieces are stitched together before the
      garment is constructed).

      I've got no evidence that flat lining was ever a medieval Japanese
      construction technique. The washing process would suggest otherwise
      (it's more work to disassemble a flat-lined garment completely).

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic