28043Re: [SCA-JML] Sumi-e and seals was introduction

    Dec 12, 2011

      Greetings from Solveig! Here is the ISBN: 4544011213 for a Japanese introduction to seal carving. It is highly illustrated. Signature seals are generally such things as names other seals might have offices. The main thing though is that the letter forms follow the ancient Chinese forms used for carving monuments which predate the forms used for writing with brushes on paper. There are specialized dictionaries which have these letter forms in them. They also sometimes show up in kanwajiten (Japanese kanji dictioinaries) where they illustrate the evolution of a particular character. I have several of these dictionaries. Regardless, this should be a specialized seal carving dictionary ISBN: 4544012090 I am not sure because I didn't go into the other room to physically look at the book. Here is the ISBN for a calligraphy dictionary ISBN: 4040203003 and here is another interesting dictionary ISBN: 9784880980010