27712Re: Fighting Tactics

  • Waffle
    Jun 17, 2011
      Before I continue with this I want to express to you that I understand that I may cover some things that you may already know, and I do not intend to be presumptuous, patronizing, or to belittle any knowledge, experience, or skills that you may already possess. Small unit tactics is one of my "things", and I want to assist you in any way that I can.

      The others are right about using Go and Shogi for learning strategy. Also, Sunzi and Musashi can be of great help. I prefer Musashi myself. Go Rin No Sho works extremely well for use in small unit, and large unit tactics. The key is to be able to envision the techniques he describes beyond the scope of single combat, and developing the ability, through training and experience, to perceive the actions of the enemy just before, or as, they commit them, and to react appropriately. The Ground book for basic unit development. The Water and Fire books for strategy and tactics. "You must study and train constantly to understand."

      The differences between SCA and real world combat are obvious to most of us. That being said, the other most obvious aspect of a Japanese small unit (I assume that is what you are planning, and I applaud you for it.) in an otherwise European world is shields. Both fighting along side and against them. Which changes everything when it comes to Japanese tactics. They just didn't encounter them that often. It's not impossible, but it does make things more difficult.

      I have found through my studies and experience that, generally, throughout history, and in almost all cultures, the basics of strategy and tactics, both large and small, are essentially the same. The main determining factors are training, technology, and terrain. In the area of small unit tactics especially, the old adage "No strategy lasts longer than the first engagement." applies. In the SCA you can pretty well apply that to "Lay-on". Using the type of battle formations you provided a link to looks very interesting, and I don't believe I have ever seen anything like them used. I have seen the standard European, Roman and other ancient formations used. I have even been part of a modified Zulu bull, but not the ones you provided. Those would be interesting to try.

      The basic essentials for success are cohesiveness through training, command and control, and the units' ability to recognize, and quickly adapt to, both subtle and radical changes in the battle.

      Studying and understanding strategy and tactics will be of great assistance in the process of developing a unit, but the above is what will make, or break, the day on the battlefield.

      Waffle