27576Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Archery

  • JL Badgley
    Feb 6, 2011
      On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 10:40 AM, chagin1 <chagin1@...> wrote:

      > This I doubt.  Archeological evidence shows asymmetrical bows buried in graves before the horse was introduced into Japan.  The design predates the horse.

      Can you come up with dates and cites? I'd be interested in what you
      have, because that isn't a claim I recall seeing before.

      From what I can see, the assymetric bow occurs across central Eurasia,
      in one form or another--I'm not sure what the oldest dates of bows and
      horses are, though. I've also seen some theories that it has more to
      do with power generation than it has to do with horseback riding.