      From: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sca-jml@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
      LJonthebay
      Sent: Monday, January 31, 2011 11:22 AM
      To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [SCA-JML] Re: Archery

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Touketto <ladygwenhwyvar@...>
      wrote:
      > Does anyone do archery? Anthony's been trying to find Japanese bow
      designs
      > of the appropriate times, online, but hasn't had much luck. Also, he says
      > the Japanese used a longbow, which might be more difficult to start out
      with
      > using. So, are the longbows all they used?

      He should search on "kyudo" and "yumi." Yumi are the Japanese longbow. They
      are asymmetric, are shot somewhat differently than Western bows and are
      extremely expensive, even for beginner bows. Instruction in kyudo is
      likewise an issue, particularly if there are no practitioners in your area.

      If he has not done archery previously, I would suggest he get in touch with
      your local archery marshal and get started with loaner gear to see if he
      likes shooting and acquires some basic skills before attempting to trade up.

      I cannot answer regarding swords. That's what retainers are for. ;-D Is he
      planning on using it merely as a costume accessory or does he intend to
      eventually get into iaido or other martial arts with it?

      Saionji no Hana