27561Re: [SCA-JML] Archery

  • Audrey Bergeron-Morin
    Jan 31, 2011
      FYI, there was a Japanese bow (with very long upper limb) for sale
      last time we went to Arcs √Člite... so it is possible to find some.

      Kyudo bows amre made this way because they are meant to be used while kneeling.

      They also had much smaller bows to use while hunting, or at war, or
      horseback riding, that are less prestigious but probably much cheaper
      and easier to carry around; closer in shape and form to a Chinese or
      Mongolian bows.

      For images you can check here
      http://www.japaneseweapons.net/yumiya/yumi/english.htm

      On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 11:17 AM, richard johnson
      <rikjohnson39@...> wrote:
      > i cannot tell you much about the Longbow as my knowledge of Kyu-do is very,
      > very limited.
      > They mainly used a longbow where the upper limb was much longer than the
      > lower.  This means that the upper long limb was thinner than the lower.
      > Archery in Japan was very much like the tea ceremony.. a simple matter take
      > to the extreme until it became art!

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic