27559Re: [SCA-JML] Archery

  • richard johnson
    Jan 31, 2011
      i cannot tell you much about the Longbow as my knowledge of Kyu-do is very,
      very limited.
      They mainly used a longbow where the upper limb was much longer than the
      lower. This means that the upper long limb was thinner than the lower.
      Archery in Japan was very much like the tea ceremony.. a simple matter take
      to the extreme until it became art!

      Swords are simplier.
      Do you want a wall-hanger that looks good on your hip or a real sword that
      works?
      Bud-K mail-order or any swap meet will sell you a bunch of stainless steel
      swords that look good but are useless. if you do this, i would suggest that
      you take a file and remove the edge. Dull stainless swords are much safer.

      If you want a GOOD sword, we all have our favorite companies.
      Hanwei
      Cheness
      Oni Forge
      Last Legend... etc.
      The only real differnce between these good mid-range swords ($200-500) is
      who likes which company. Those four are my favorite, other people here will
      have a similar list that they like.
      Masahiro and Musahsi sell cheaper swords that are not as good but still
      nice blades.
      Hanwei is noted for making Naginatas, arrowheads, yari, etc in addition to
      swords. Paul Chen really took advantage of China's shift into capitalism.

      Now as for hand-made swords... Honestly, the Japanese folded their swords
      for one reason. They had really crappy steel and had to figure out a way to
      make bad steel into good swords.
      Modern machine-made swords are much better than anything the ancient Sword
      masters could do.
      So if you want a hand-made sword (I have one from the 19th century) I think
      it is purely an asthetic thing. i would never play with my hand-made
      sword! And of the dozen best swordmakers in the world today, probably half
      are Americans.

      Last Legend makes really good cutting swords that are computer designed to
      cut tatasmi mats and pool noodles. I cut 2-liter bottles as it is cheaper.
      And i have a Hanwei Practical Pro katana (designed by a California Kendo
      school) that I really do not like at all. $400 + shipping <g>. Some guy
      wanted to buy it for his 6 year old kid and i refused to sell it to him.

      So decide on what you want... then look for a blade that meets that need.

      Now i get to sit back and listen to the other people on this list teach us
      both about Archery. yay!

      On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 7:31 AM, Michelle Touketto <ladygwenhwyvar@...
      > wrote:

      > Hi, hope you guys aren't sick of me and my questions, yet!
      >
      > Does anyone do archery? Anthony's been trying to find Japanese bow designs
      > of the appropriate times, online, but hasn't had much luck. Also, he says
      > the Japanese used a longbow, which might be more difficult to start out
      > with
      > using. So, are the longbows all they used? And anyone know a resource for
      > acquiring an appropriate beginner bow?
      >
      > Along with that. Where do you guys get your swords? While he has a lot of
      > sword sites that he likes, I'm not sure how many of them are appropriate,
      > nor what the reasonable price range is, since they seem to range from
      > questionably cheap to laughably expensive!
      >
      > Thanks (again),
      > Michelle Touketto
      >
      > --
      > "All knowledge is worth having." Anafiel Delaunay, Kushiel's Dart.

      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
      "Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined security
      will soon find that they have neither."