27278Re: listening

  • booknerd9
    Aug 4, 2010
      *nods* In my third year of Japanese, our professor did show us unsubtitled versions of My Neighbor Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies. I still couldn't make out a single thing and was quite glad that the professor gave us the questions about the film in written form (I understood what I read much more than what I heard by a long shot). But as for the anime, given that I watched it with my friends who liked action-comedies, I took it with a grain of salt.

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, James Eckman <ronin_engineer@...> wrote:
      > > Posted by: "booknerd9"
      > >
      > > Depends on the anime. Anime that is more dramatic as opposed to comedic and is aimed at adults may have characters that are speaking close to how normal people do[1]. FWIW, I watched anime when studying Japanese in college... I called it "doing research" (instead of say, goofing off).
      > >

      > For beginners, anime is bad. Until you've had some classes, tapes or
      > possibly movies you just don't know how bad! When Akira first came out
      > (unsubtitled) a kid brought a copy to Japanese class. This was the
      > second semester, and for the first 5 minutes none of us could understand
      > a word. This was about the time it took the sensei to recover from shock
      > ;) Now I know what they are saying and if I hear anyone speaking like
      > that, I'm either running or reaching for a weapon!
      > Jim
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic