27274Re: listening

  • booknerd9
    Aug 2, 2010
      Depends on the anime. Anime that is more dramatic as opposed to comedic and is aimed at adults may have characters that are speaking close to how normal people do[1]. FWIW, I watched anime when studying Japanese in college... I called it "doing research" (instead of say, goofing off).

      [1]For American shows, compare something like Bob the Builder to the Simpsons, and compare that to Friends and then to Law and Order.

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Andrew T Trembley <attrembl@...> wrote:

      > On 7/29/2010 8:01 PM, setsuko_iwashiro wrote:
      > > Look up subtitled anime on YouTube.
      >
      > Ooh.
      >
      > Bad choice, in this case.
      >
      > Just as cartoon characters talk with exaggerated English speech
      > patterns, anime characters talk with exaggerated Japanese speech
      > patterns. I've heard a number of Japanese friends joke about non-native
      > speakers with "anime accents."
      >
      > andy

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic