26727Dye techniques (was: Re: My latest faux surihaku project can be seen here )

  • jenzelofthefirst
    Jan 13, 2010
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "ErinK" <tupan4@...> wrote:
      > Saionji-sensei, very nice work! (As usual!) I'm curious about the wicking effect you said you didn't like - I can't see it in the photos. Would you post a photo of that, or share it privately? (I'd love to try this but I don't want to have unrealistic expectations!)

      I daresay I am well out of my league here but it has been recommended to me that having your fabric wet before dyeing is essential in getting clean dye lines. To be fair, my source is a how to book on shibori. And perhaps all dyeing requires that the first thing you do is have your fabric wet. However, on the science end, dry fabric is what allows or capillary action to take place. By having wet fabric in your dip dyes, water in the fabric is already taking up molecular level spaces for dye to get in, thus preventing the further "climb" of dye. Paradoxically, I'm also reading here that wet fabric is what allows for a good dye anyway, as dye particles diffuse through water to get into their dye spots on the fabric. Apparently water both allows and prevents the spread and soaking of dye. (Source: Shibori: creating color and texture on silk by Karen K. Britto ISBN: 0-8230-4815-2)

      > My clothing tastes seem to be moving later and later in period, so I'm starting to wonder about some of the more elaborate fabric designs - I have the impression they were all woven in, except for this fading dye technique. (And I think some garments were hand-decorated, though I'm not sure that's pre-Edo. I've seen some marvelous Edo-jidai examples of painted robes.) Anyone have evidence otherwise?

      Indeed, in later period (I'm coming primarily from a Momoyama standpoint) there are a plethora of styles and methods used to decorate clothing. Hands down most popular seem to be Tsujigahana and Embroidery. Tsujigahana is an amalgam of shibori techniques and ink painting used to accentuate shapes made from the aforementioned tie dye. Embroidery is used all over the place for intense colorful pictures and patterns as well. Strangely, the Japanese also seems to have mastered the art of putting metal leaf on their clothing wich is astounding in its decadence.
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic