26720RE: [SCA-JML] Dye techniques (was: Re: My latest faux surihaku project can be seen here )

  • Deb Strub
    Jan 12, 2010
      Greetings,

      I don't use my washing machine for the dye process because I
      don't trust that I'll get all the dye out. However, after multiple rinsings
      I wash the dyed fabric in the machine with synthropol, a special detergent
      that you can get at Dharma Trading Co.

      You should NEVER use anything you've used for dye for any food
      application. I use a dedicated enamel pot for hot dyeing like silks and
      dedicated 5-gallon plastic containers for cold water dyeing. Each one of
      these and any utensils used for dye work are marked "dye only". I make sure
      there's plenty of ventilation and wear a dust mask when mixing up powdered
      dye stuff. Its better to be safe than sorry.

      Good luck with future dye projects!

      YIS,

      Tsuruko

      _____