26719Dye techniques (was: Re: My latest faux surihaku project can be seen here )

    Jan 12, 2010
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "ErinK" <tupan4@...> wrote:

      > I've heard you shouldn't use a washing machine for dying if you want to use it for cleaning later.

      Depends on the dye. Usually, running a cycle with no clothes in after you dye should take care of it.

      > With silk, since it's so thin, you can dye many, many yards in one (admittedly gigantic) stock pot. I've done 5 or 10 yards at a time. (Okay, maybe not 10, but definitely 5 yards of broadcloth.) I'm also not sure it's safe to use the pot for food later.

      I wouldn't. The Tamale Pot Of Doom and Ginormous Wooden Spoon that I use to move dye around with are not used for cooking. I haven't had a problem with dyes reacting to the aluminum, but I've been sticking to the Jacquard Acid Dyes and I know how they behave. A lot of folks prefer to use enamel-ware canning pots. (Stainless steel would also work, but a large stainless pot can be pricy.)

      > My clothing tastes seem to be moving later and later in period, so I'm starting to wonder about some of the more elaborate fabric designs - I have the impression they were all woven in, except for this fading dye technique.

      I recommend that you get your hands on a copy of "Japanese Costume and Textile Arts" by Seiroku Noma. It's out of print, but you can usually find it used fairly inexpensively and it's a great little overview of period kosode embellishment techniques, which include woven designs, embroidery, shibori (resist techniques) and even drawing on the fabric with ink.
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic