26649Re: [SCA-JML] Need japanese armor for scene in short film

  • Mori Michimori
    Dec 3, 2009
      Cowan Jeremy wrote:
      > I'm betting that actually makes it harder for him, rather than
      > easier. He's painted himself into a corner. He said that they are not
      > actually supposed to fight in this scene since the armor tires them
      > out before they get to actually exchanging blows.. But he has two big
      > problems that he didn't expect. Musashi and Kojiro didn't wear armor
      > in their duel and I'd bet that if the armor is worn correctly, it's
      > not THAT tiring.
      >
      > One option for him would be to ignore the facts and continue with his
      > plan since many people would happily buy into the premises. In which
      > case he would still need armor.
      >
      > Or alternatively, perhaps we could help him come up with another
      > plan. Can we think of a famous duel where the opponents would have
      > worn Japanese armor? What can we add to the armor to make it more
      > tiring? Maybe make them wear yumi and they keep getting caught on
      > things or tripping over the bow? I don't suppose anyone ever wore
      > geta with armor - since it is in the winter perhaps an excuse could
      > be made for tall geta in the snow, but they keep falling all over the
      > place? Were there any famous duels with kanabo or something else
      > suitably unweildy?

      I wonder how necessary the Japanese element is at all. Sounds to me like
      he wants to reshoot the battle between Robin Hood (Sean Connery) and the
      Sheriff of Nottingham (Robert Shaw) at the end of "Robin and Marion".
      <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075147/>

      Much more interesting than watching Toshiro Mifune run around swatting
      Pat Morita with a boat oar. (Or maybe not)

      Dôshu
      --
      Mori Daitarô Michimori-shônagon
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic