26647Re: [SCA-JML] Need japanese armor for scene in short film

  • Anthony Bryant
    Dec 3, 2009
      On Dec 3, 2009, at 10:41 AM, Captain Zorikh wrote:

      > Hi Folks. Thanks for letting me post this here.
      >
      > In the SCA I am known as Ervald the Optimistic, and in the real
      > world I am Zorikh Lequidre, among other thing, independent film
      > director and producer.
      >
      > The current project I am working on is a short comedy film called
      > "The Duel," in which two history geeks go all over NYC trying to
      > find the perfect historical duel with which to resolve their quarrel
      > over a girl.
      >
      > In one of the scenes, the show up on a beach in full Japanese armor
      > in an attempt to re-enact the duel between Musashi and Kojiro. They
      > don't actually fight in the armor, they collapse and pass out under
      > the weight of it.
      >
      > The thing is, we need the armor.
      >
      > We want to shoot this scene on a beach near Coney Island, Brooklyn,
      > on the weekend of December 12-13 or 19-21. It would only take about
      > a half day to shoot.
      >
      > This is a very low budget project, so we can't really afford to pay
      > a rental fee, but if necessary we will cover reasonable
      > transportation expenses, spell your name right in the credits, give
      > you a copy when it is done, invite you to the screenings, and if you
      > come in person, feed you when we shoot it.
      >
      > If you can help us, please contact me at zorikh@...

      Hi, Zorikh.

      We can make it real easy for you -- Musashi and Kojiro didn't wear
      armour in their duel. In fact, virtually no one wore armour for
      anything but the occasional showboating during most of the Edo period
      (save that messy double campaign in Osaka and the Shimabara Rebellion).

      You need regular Japanese clothing -- not armour. I'd recommend
      checking out the Samurai Trilogy (about Musashi). I believe the third
      one focusses on the duel on Ganryƻjima.