26474Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Building a Kamakura Persona

  • JL Badgley
    Oct 1, 2009
      On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 8:11 PM, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...> wrote:
      >
      >> As I recall, kyogen tends to fossilize late Muromachi fashions and
      >> language while Noh tends to fossilize somewhat earlier fashions and
      >> speech.
      >
      > My mistake - I misremembered a comic kabuki play as kyogen. I'm thinking specifically of a piece called "Bo Shibari," and the costume is worn by the master of two untrustworthy servants.
      > http://www.culturaitalia.it/pico/modules/event/it/event_1118.html?print=true

      I'm pretty sure that the Lord in most of those plays wears Edo period
      garments, but I could be wrong. I *do* think we find nagabakama
      before the Edo period, but I don't know how popular they were (or why
      they would be used--probably to show that the wearer could be
      leisurely, initially, but I'm not sure).