26465Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Building a Kamakura Persona

  • JL Badgley
    Sep 30, 2009
      On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...> wrote:
      > Noble Cousin!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig!
      >> I believe that's an Edo period style for men, usually paired with
      >> kataginu.
      > I would have to check my copy of the nuikata book, but I've lent it
      > out again.
      > Regardless, male nobility were encumbered by these enormously long
      > trains which appear to have been either brocade or painted silk.

      Do you mean the kyo (kyou)?

      Hardly the same thing--you aren't stepping on it. Plus, the long kyo
      are only for the upper level nobility, according to the regulations in
      place at the time.

      Evidence points less to a brocade, I would say, and more to an
      embroidered jacquard weave over a piece of plain, colored silk.
      Certainly not a "Chinese brocade" type of silk.

      For the guards' uniforms, I've seen an extant one at one of the temple
      treasure rooms in Kyoto (Koryuji?), but no pictures were allowed. I
      bring it up because it was, as I recall, hemp with the roundels
      painted on.

      The Edo period nagabakama are completely different and made of hemp
      (per the regulations, I believe). They are quite different from
      earlier nagabakama, though one of the Fujiwara males who was mummified
      up in Chusonji in the 12th century apparently had some nagabakama for
      reasons I can't quite fathom (I used that for my first ever
      hakama--good pleats, but there was a lot that was, well, not quite
      right...).