26452Re: [SCA-JML] Building a Kamakura Persona

    Sep 29, 2009

      > I was under the impression that the nagabakama (long trailing
      > hakama) were more of a Heian period thing and that hakama weren't
      > worn so much in later periods, such as Kamakura. I thought
      > Kamakura and later wore layers of kosode over a white kosode with a
      > narrow obi.
      Context is always critical. The court scene in a movie version of
      Chushingura (Edo period) which I have had the daimyo strolling the
      halls in nagabakama. Yes, I know that movies are not documentation,
      but they are illustrative. Take a look at the coronation robes of the
      Showa emperor sometime. Lots of clothing gets ossified. A lot of
      "classic" wedding gowns are based on upper class women's Summer wear
      of the mid 19th century.