26437Re: [SCA-JML] Building a Kamakura Persona

    Sep 28, 2009

      > Hello, my name is Nanashi Yuri and sadly I find it necessary to
      > start this post with a disclaimer. My Japanese vocabulary is very
      > limited and my spelling (in both English and Japanese) doubly so.
      > There for if I say something wrong or choose to describe what I
      > mean rather then use the proper words for them that is why, I
      > apologize is this confuses or offends anyone but education can be a
      > slow process requiring much repetition.

      Please just ask for explanation when a response is unintelligible. I
      tend to have a "gakumonteki" speaking style in both English and
      Japanese. In short, I am a stuffy would be intellectual who
      habitually uses big and obscure words. I've been this way since
      elementary school, so please try to forgive my foibles.

      > Five-ish years ago I joined the SCA intending to play a Japanese
      > persona. I did some research and biased on what I found at the time
      > I chose Kamakura Period do to the simplicity of the time as well as
      > admiration for Minamoto no Yoritomo and the stories of Tomoe Gozen
      > and Itagaki. (Weather they be historically true or just stories
      > suck as the Iliad I don't know or care much.)

      Great time period. Please decide to be from sometime prior to the
      Jokyu Disturbance and you place yourself in a period where there are
      women who controlled turf, there is a well developed professional
      military, Zen has arrived, &c. In short, the place is starting to
      look recognizably Japanese, but is still a spiffy place to female.

      > My research at that time, and I'm sorry to say I have lost almost
      > all of the links I had found back then, lead me to believe that a
      > female Buke wore a white kiosode and red hakima, with a single
      > colored coat.

      Please take a look at the web page for the Costume Museum in Kyoto.
      I'm sure that someone has posted a link by now. The bottom line is
      that you are not limited to red hakama (pants), the white kosode is
      underwear, and you get a wide range of latitude in the number of
      layers that you choose to wear. Again, this is a really spiffy
      period. Am I biased or what? It's too bad that Sen no Rikyu didn't
      cough up tea until the sixteenth century. If he was back in the early
      Kamakura period, then I would be all set.

      > (Unless it was cold then layers could be added.) however when
      > browsing the Kyoto Museum sight more recently I have been unable to
      > find mention of such simple garb. Also it has come to my attention
      > that the female Hakima is quite different then the male Hakima,
      > which I prefer.

      Ah! You've already looked there.

      > So to wrap things up I was wondering if it would be acceptable for
      > someone who is just starting to build there persona to where a
      > white Kiosode with a coat or two and a red hakima sewn in the male
      > fashion. And if not what about cross dressing or a young female who
      > emulates the stories of the above people?

      OK. The simplest hakama to make is actually the mobakama which has
      only two tie ends on the side and an undivided skirt. It's a LOT
      easier than the hakama you are probably looking at. Where are you
      located? Several of us have copies of the infamous "nuikata" (how to
      sew) book which has patterns for several different styles of hakama.