26335Re: Re: Films to watch was various

  • James Eckman
    Sep 1 9:06 AM
      > Posted by: "Solveig Throndardottir"
      >
      > Well, as I much as I may otherwise enjoy Beat Takeshi, I still think
      > that his Zatoichi movies are heretical.
      I thought he did only one, and from what he was talking about, it was a
      tribute film. Beat Takeshi says he thinks very highly of the Zatoichi
      films. Not surprising given how violent many of his films are.
      > I have much the same opinion
      > about recent Pink Panther movies without Peter Sellers. Incidentally,
      > I think that the Zatoichi movies can be seen as part of a theatrical
      > thread going back to Zatokyogen.

      Or bad Western serials.... ;)
      > Posted by: "wodeford"
      >
      > I don't remember if I mentioned this here, but "Hana" (Japanese title "Hana yori mo naho") is a delightful movie about a young samurai who is sworn to avenge his father but is better suited to teaching calligraphy than fighting battles. He is faced with a conundrum when he finally discovers who it is he has sworn to kill - and I'm going to leave it at that.
      > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0464038/

      I wasn't aware it was available in the US. Fun to watch! Jidai-geki is
      making a bit of a comeback in Japan. Yay!

      Jim
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic