26115Re: [SCA-JML] New to group

    Aug 12, 2009

      Greetings from solveig!

      > I thought that Japanese? prior to the 1600's , women were named for
      > objects or elements? and that most womens names were not
      > documented.? I may have been given the wrong information.? Since my
      > device has mountains and the tiger or cat paw on it I would like to
      > keep my name revolving around the device since it will pass.? Does
      > anyone have any name suggestions?? Again I am grateful for all of
      > your help.

      For most of time, most humans had undocumented names. That is, their
      names do not appear on birth certificates, census rolls, and that
      sort of thing. However, we do have a fairly extensive corpus
      available about premodern Japanese feminine names. If you read
      Japanese, I recommend consulting:

      角田 文衞. 日本の女性名―歴史的展望. Tokyo, 国書刊
      行会, 2006.
      ISBN: 4336047456