26112Re: [SCA-JML] Re: New to group

  • JL Badgley
    Aug 11, 2009
      On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 11:38 PM, <majora120690@...> wrote:
      > Thank everyone for the good advise and information. I will research some names and just do a known as for Yamaneko.

      Well...

      You can't do "lynx", partly for the reasons pointed out and partly
      because I'm pretty sure the lynx was not extant in Japan, so the word
      is likely modern. However, there may be something that you can do (as
      I thought I mentioned on Tousando):

      Yama = Mountain
      Ne = Root
      Ko = Child

      -neko is a known suffix for at least the Nara period. I just don't
      know if it was ever a non-imperial suffix, though you could probably
      make the case. Yamaneko could potentially be a usable name if you
      could also document "Yama" in women's names. I know that
      Yamanouchi-dono tried "Ya-Ma-" as an alternative, though the
      construction looks odd (I don't know if that was an actual name or
      not).

      So it isn't that you have to throw out the name, but that you have to
      decide what is important about it.

      Another thing: You would probably be known by your family name moreso
      than your given name in most circumstances, so that would seem, by
      far, to be more important.