25903Re: [SCA-JML] re: Fabric

    Jun 25, 2009

      Greetings from Solveig! White is the only "reserved" belt color. The
      others are conventional. Further, most colors are already taken. I
      recall encountering places where black and brown are reserved.
      Further, a queen once mistook my brown belt for a yellow belt.
      Basically, you can't win. Just go with anything but white. That is
      the only color that will seriously disjoint people's noses.

      > Note that the period (pre-Edo) obi are quite basic; in fact I can't
      > even see any in the Heian models.

      Well, they may simply be called himo, but there are cloth cords that
      serve the function of holding your clothes on.

      > And of course, red is still out. (Unless you're a squire, in which
      > case you can go to town with the red! And it would probably look
      > nice.)

      Nope. Red really isn't out. It isn't protected or reserved to squires
      who are technically in a personal relationship with their knight.
      Being a squire is not a rank or title within the Society itself. A
      number of years ago, Firebrand Herald (a member of the Order of the
      Pelican) was trying to put together a group of people who would wear
      all of the unofficial bling (and especially red belts) that exists in
      the Society at some prominent event such as Pennsic.