25696Re: [SCA-JML] Refrence

    Jun 2, 2009

      > "Government And Local Power In Japan 500-1700" by John Whitney Hall
      > Second printing 1970, SBN 691-03019-7, published by Princeton
      > University Press.
      The author is decent. I've got some of his stuff. I my have a copy of
      that particular book in a box in storage at the moment. The copyright
      date and publisher are by themselves somewhat indicative. 1970 is
      about the time that solid English language scholarship on East Asia
      really got going. Things to notice just from the title. The title
      says that the book is ambitious in scope. Later on, Mass was writing
      more narrowly focused books. Basically, please do read the book, but
      then go on to more focused books such as Hall's book about the
      Muromachi Age.