25686Re: [SCA-JML] Refrence

  • JL Badgley
    Jun 2, 2009
      On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 12:21 PM, <the.lady.phoenix@...> wrote:
      > Ohayo,
      >
      > well, last night (like 6 hours ago) I was in the house where 2 out of
      > 3 of the places for my refrences to be stored are located, and found,
      >
      > "Government And Local Power In Japan 500-1700" by John Whitney Hall
      > Second printing 1970, SBN 691-03019-7, published by Princeton University Press.
      >
      > I'm wondering if anyone else has read this and how "good" of a
      > resource they found it or didn't and why.  Obviously if I am the first
      > to read it here (though I doubt that!) I'll make a report on if I
      > found it good, hard to follow, etc.

      Excellent resource! John Whitney Hall is definitely one of the names
      to look for regarding any historical info on Japan. I wish I could
      find my copy (if you wanted to check, he might have something in there
      about the uji debate... but maybe not).

      This work looks at the specifics of government--As I recall it looks
      at the governance of Bizen from the early formation of Japanese
      statehood all the way up to the Edo period. It is quite the resource,
      and often quoted, even today. There may be some ideas that are out of
      date, but that doesn't disqualify the scholarship involved in any way.