25673Re: [SCA-JML] The N word

  • Andrew Trembley
    Jun 1, 2009
      Bryant Richards wrote:
      > I think it is very plan that I wasn't calling anyone a Nazi. I was using the term as it has become used to mean "Overly strict" as in "Fire Nazi" meaning someone who goes around putting out every fire unattended. I have even heard this term used at SCA events as a job description.

      Just because you hear this term used doesn't mean it's polite or

      I'm all for Mel Brooks' practice of making Nazis the object of ridicule;
      it's a great way to diminish their attractiveness and reduce their
      chances (and those of people very like them) of coming to power again.

      Using the name is such a trivial fashion, though, as a call for one's
      own personal waaahmbulance, is tacky.

      You *are* calling some people Nazis, even if you don't know who you're
      doing it to. You don't know who has had this epithet thrown at them in
      the past.

      That's sticky. Some of us on this board have older friends with tattoos,
      if you get my drift. Some of us have big swaths of the family tree that
      were wiped out of existence in the 30's and 40's.

      No, I'm not telling you who.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic