25381Re: [SCA-JML] Miso Soup

  • JL Badgley
    Apr 17, 2009
      On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Leonora Radovcic <Lightpaws@...> wrote:
      > Greetings Cousins,
      >
      > To all who have posted miso soup reciepes and suggestions, thank you.  They were very helpful.  I am looking to make a bit of both:  the modern ones, as well as the most traditional ones.  I am grateful.

      I don't think the recipe for the basic broth is that different. The
      type of miso might be--I don't know that modern miso is the same as
      older miso (especially in terms of the grains used), but it may be.
      Hard to say, but by the 17th century we have differentiations of
      "nakamiso" ("middle" miso--something between dark and light miso,
      which seems the standard miso for most recipes), "usumiso" (thin
      miso--this might be talking about the broth, as I'm doing this out of
      memory), and even "chunky" miso (indicating that most are not that
      chunky).