25371Re: [SCA-JML] Miso Soup

    Apr 15, 2009
      Ii dono!

      Greetings from Solveig!

      > Personally, I've found that making a good dashi broth to start is the
      > secret, followed by controlling the temperature of the miso. If you
      > boil the miso (or keep it heated for too long) you'll break down the
      > flavor.

      Basically, that is the sort of thing that was stressed in chaseki class.
      We made our own dashi by boiling konbu and katsuo bushi. Then,
      after straining the resulting dashi, we added miso. Our sensei was
      quite explicit that you never ever want to boil miso. Then arranged
      various items in each of the bowls, and spooned the basic miso
      shiru into the bowls.

      > Personally, I like adding fresh miso to individual bowls as I
      > pour the dashi over it, but this isn't practical in all cases. Still,
      > I think it provides the best miso flavor, imho.

      Basically, the principle is similar to the one which you mentioned,
      but is far more likely to be practical.