25209RE: [SCA-JML] Hats?

  • Melissa Russell
    Mar 2, 2009
      My apologies, I had originally included the links to each specific image I was referring to, but yahoogroups appears to have devoured the attached HTML. I should have considered that ahead of time.

      The "mushi-no tareginu" image that I was referring to was from this link: http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/7.htm . The panel describes the outfit as a traveling outfit and the hat being a "hemp veiled sedge hat." I appear to have missed the part stating that the actual hat is referred to as a "ichime-gasa-no koji," which makes slightly more sense considering most of these hats end in "gasa," which I'm assuming means "hat."

      The "obuto-no zori" I referenced was from this link: http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/10.htm . I meant the large straw hat, but it appears that the numerical designations are off for the image. I'm starting to believe that an "obuto-no zori" is a pair of straw sandals and that I meant to reference the "ichime-gasa," which is also numerically designated as what appears to be a pouch around her neck.

      Would it be correct to assume that the "ichime-gasa" is the wide-brimmed straw hat and the "no-koji" designation is something akin to "with veil"?

      The "nuri-gasa" was referenced from this link: http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/34.htm . I had noticed that it was being worn by a shinto priest, but I did not know if it would be limited to that specific class. I will admit that I am drawn to it because it appears to be lacqured black, but would there be unadorned versions of this hat as well? This is the only reference I have found to this particular conical style.

      The Kyoto Costume Museum site also lists an "ajiro-gasa" as being available in the Edo Period: http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/kosode/25.htm . Would this style of hat be limited to monks of later periods or would it have been seen earlier?

      The hats available through Shop Japan look fantastic, but I'm afraid they're a tad outside my current budget, so I ran a Google search on "Japanese Straw Hats" and found Asian Ideas and the Oriental Trading Company (bleh). Both of them had what appears to be a simple straw conical hat: http://asianideas.com/peasanthat.html but, not being able to pick it up and examine it in person, it reminds me of the cheap hats that are available at oriental themed events like anime conventions. I think the "rice field straw hat" available through Asian Ideas looks slightly higher quality: http://asianideas.com/rifisthat.html , but the black cord makes it look funky. Dean says that the first hat is definitely nicer, though -- any opinions on either hat?

      Also, the Kosode "veil" looks awesome and I'll have to try it, but I'm afraid it wouldn't do much to keep the sun off my face.