25207Re: [SCA-JML] Hats?

  • Dean Wayland
    Mar 1, 2009
      Hi Melissa,

      Like you, several of our group, including me, tend to fry under a strong
      sun, so we sourced some appropriate broad brimmed head gear.

      The following festival supplies company in Japan carry a range of hats,
      but some have plastic "bones". We've had several, of which the Takuhatsu
      was the best. The hats themselves are expensive, but their flat atamadai
      (liners) are cheap, which go well with our alternative (read on).

      http://www.shop-japan.co.jp/english-boku/warring5-s.htm

      A U.S. company carries the following inexpensive Chinese made bamboo
      hats, which come with an elastic chin strap. We bought ten of these a
      while back as they are entirely made of bamboo, then we removed the
      elastic and installed the flat style "atamadai" bought in from
      shop-japan (shown on the above page). We then added hemp ties. At some
      point we're going to try and get a load of straw string, like that used
      on waraji (sandals) for our next batch.

      http://asianideas.com/peasanthat.html

      These hats work extremely well, providing shade, protection from rain
      and ventilation, as they do not sit directly upon the scalp. For extra
      comfort and sweat absorption most of us wear a hachimaki (head cloth).

      They do other hats but the above is the best. But FYI here's their hat
      page:

      http://asianideas.com/bamboohats.html

      Incidentally to the ashigaru out there, we tried something like the
      following hat to fulfil the requirement for a "folding sedge" hat. It
      works okay, but the conical bamboo ones are definitely nicer. Not sure
      what the asiaideas version is actually like:

      http://asianideas.com/rifisthat.html

      Anyway, hope this is of some help.

      Yours

      Dean