24960Re: [SCA-JML] Name

    Jan 5 9:11 PM

      > did japanese woman keep there family name and not change there last
      > name?

      It depends on when. Prior to the middle of the Kamakura period, the
      answer is pretty much no. Generally speaking though, women have a
      much better lot prior to the middle of the Kamakura period.

      > and did they have a middle name or just a first and last,

      Well. You would have a personal name and depending on who you are and
      when you are from, you would have one or more other names.

      > I know men changed there name when the got to a certine age and
      > woman did not but it's hard to find a lot on womans names.

      As I recall, women were changing their names at about twelve as
      recently as the 1930's or so. Or at least that is what I recall being
      portrayed in 24 Eyes. Regardless, both boys and girls had coming of
      age ceremonies.