24729RE: [SCA-JML] kumihimo

  • Jennifer Kobayashi
    Nov 4, 2008
      Original question - is Takadai period.

      --- On Mon, 11/3/08, Deb Strub <tsuruko@...> wrote:
      > I am reasonably sure that it is. I've seen reproductions of Nara and
      > Heian braids that have such a large number of bobbins that they had to
      > have been done on the takadai. I can't seem to find the book that's in
      > but if/when I find it I'll let you know.

      Please bear with me; this is not my area of expertise, but something I am interested in. I am not aware that number of bobbins is indicative that it has to have been done on a takadai:

      For instance here:
      http://www.englisch.kumihimo.de/html/history.html
      (scroll to history section)
      is a reproduction of a 14th century braid: the 14th century braid was originally _finger loop braided_ by two people, but the _modern reproduction_ was braided on a takadai using 56 bobbins.

      Also that a karakumidai - which appears to be documentable to Heian times, would allow a large number of bobbins as well although not as many patterns as a takadai.

      If you have more/other information, I would be delighted to be enlightened. Thank you for your attention,

      Ki no Izumi
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic