24209Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Fabric, patterning, and decoration

  • JL Badgley
    Sep 1, 2008
      On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 1:12 AM, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:

      > (I do. I am still kicking myself that I didn't have a camera with me
      > when the Asian Art Museum displayed an Edo period kataginu kamishimo
      > made of indigo hemp so fine you could read a newspaper through it.)
      >
      > From http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/garb.ch01.html
      > "Formal hakama were typically lined. Lined hakama were called
      > ai-hakama, distinguishing them from those unlined hakama commonly worn
      > more in summer months, which were called hitoe-hakama."

      I've seen it both ways... can't recall if I have examples of both.
      There are hakama in JIN* that specifically call for being lined.

      Furthermore, for some of the finer fabrics, as noted, a good linen
      underneath can help add body to the fabric (since you aren't dealing
      with tetron or cotton). We have some silk sashinuki that were
      constructed this way and have been meaning to try it with our own
      clothing.

      -Ii

      *Jidai Ishou no Nuikata
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic