24127Re: Looking for advice

  • autumnriver
    Jul 31, 2008
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Shannon Keys" <ldypyrate@...> wrote:
      > Does anyone have reccomendations
      > for a good introductory work on Japanese Calligraphy?

      Mizuno-dono,

      There are a number of good books now available in English that
      introduce brush calligraphy. I have found _An Introduction to
      Japanese Calligraphy_ by Yuuko Suzuki (ISBN 1-84448-057-7) to be
      especially helpful (lots of pictures, explains a number of styles).

      Also check out _Sho: Japanese Calligraphy_ by Christopher Earnshaw
      (ISBN 0-8048-1568-2), which has a thorough discussion of history and
      various technique but not as many visual examples.

      You might also want to learn hiragana and katakana. Hiragana,
      especially, is a good base to start from when learning brush
      calligraphy. There are a number of good books that introduce these
      characters and how to write them.

      Good luck and have fun!

      Written from my home overlooking the Great River, on this the 31st day
      of the 7th month, the 20th year of Heisei, in the hour of the Rooster.

      Ki no Kotori
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic