24047Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Kamon Color

  • Elaine Koogler
    Jul 4, 2008
      I just heard back from one of the heralds who has, for several years,
      worked with the submission process (devices in particular) with the
      Wreath Herald. This is the person who handles submissions for the
      Laurel Sovereign of Arms. According to him:

      "Vert and purpure were certainly not common in period European heraldry.
      There were practical problems with vert fields (they blended into the
      background too well in most places), and the color was associated with
      the Saracens (green is quite common in Islamic heraldry). Purpure
      started out as a purplish gray -- described as "a mixture of all the
      other tinctures" in a number of early sources -- and wasn't terribly
      popular as such; true purples would not have been very colorfast on
      shields, and the colorfast purple fabric dyes were so expensive that
      only the serious uppermost crust could afford them.

      However, we do have some examples of both vert and purpure being used
      throughout medieval and renaissance Europe (East and West). So, while
      the heralds will often point out that the two tinctures are less common,
      and we may try to dampen enthusisasm for OVER-using them, we do NOT
      discourage their use."

      I hope this will sort things out...

      Kiri