24039Re: [SCA-JML] Kamon Color

    Jul 3, 2008

      > What is the correct color for at 16th century Kamon?

      Although depictions of kamon in rolls of arms such as Daibukan are
      monochromatic and frequently simply outline drawings, battle paintings,
      town paintings, &c. tell a different story. Typically kamon have up to
      three colors with high contrast. Typical colors are: White, black,
      red, and blue.

      > Additionally would an allied family use the the Mori red color as a
      > backgroungd for thier Kamon? Or would they use another color?

      I doubt that it goes either way. Just pick colors that you like.

      > Her choice would be to use a purple background with a white kamon.

      I recommend against using purple. Not only will it likely raise eyebrows
      at the College of Arms, there is also reason to believe that its use in
      pre-modern Japan was rather unusual.