24021Re: [SCA-JML] Device Newbie Questions

  • Kelly Thurman Peters
    Jul 1, 2008
      On Jul 1, 2008, at 10:48 PM, Solveig Throndardottir wrote:
      > 2. There are several problems with the design. For SCA purposes,
      > you might consider whether or not the sakura design shouldn't be
      > put on both wings of the butterfly.

      I had a version with it on both wings actually and wasn't sure which
      would be more correct. So, that actually helps me decide which of the
      two to submit.

      > As a recreation of Japanese heraldry, the proposed design is rather
      > poor as there is no significant connection between butterflies and
      > cherry blossoms.

      I was going with the ephemeral quality of life that sakura represent.
      They're considered beautiful and are short lived, butterflies are
      considered beautiful and short lived, both things quite delicate, as
      well as the possible visual representation of falling sakura being
      similar to the flight of butterflies. I may be stretching way too
      hard there, or I might not understand what correct connections should
      be, so if that doesn't work, then maybe you could give me an example
      or two of appropriate connections. : )

      > 3. The significant problem from a College of Arms aspect is the
      > "triune" aspect of the butterfly. Generally speaking, the College
      > of Arms resists
      > registering devices shown in triune aspect. There are exceptions
      > such as dice.

      I'm not familiar with creating a device at all, I don't understand
      exactly what that means. Does it mean the way the butterfly is turned?

      Thanks for your help.

      ______
      Takeda Sakura
      Webminister: Crimson River